Tuesday, November 9, 2010

#Things Black Girls Do...Hmmmm?

Hello World,

Most of you, if you are reading my blog, probably know what Twitter is and what purpose it serves,even if you do not "tweet" yourself. For those of you who may not know the inner and outer workings of Twitter I will briefly enlighten you on what is called the "Trending Topic". In Twitterland, the Trending Topic, or simply TT, is popular a word, phrase, or issue that is currently being discussed. The word, usually followed by a pound (#) sign, can be trending for several hours or even days. Some of them (most of them) are funny and light hearted, some of them can get pretty serious, and some of them are just completely random. This, World, is the idea of the TT.

With that being said, the current TT on Twitter as I write this post is #Thingsblackgirlsdo. I am not usually one to fuss over stereotypes and such, however, some things really do get to me and, as a black female I feel I must say something about some of the tweets that flew across my screen. For example, one individual's TT said: "Dropin that a** down low in the club #thingsblackgirlsdo", another tweet "#thingsblackgirlsdo Spend $300 on Weave"...and there are many many more. As I said...not usually one who is big on discussing stereotypical issues but really are you serious that these are some of the things that cross individuals minds when thinking about black females. Come on people. Most of these negative tweets that I saw were either posted by black men or even re-tweeted by fellow black females. Ladies, being known for: talking to much, talking too loud, or how much drama you cause, is nothing to be proud of. We've had too many strong black females work too hard to change stereotypical images like this. #Imjustsayin.

Now on one hand, it really is just Twitter and most of these tweets are probably being tweeted by high school or middle school kids who have nothing better to do with their time, and for the most part I am sure it really is out of fun. Furthermore, I am sure there is also a TT titled #thingswhitegirlsdo which is probably just as stereotypical, but look at this way... which one is more popular.Yet, this is just one girls opinion  :-)

Either way, whether you agree or not, smile and tweet away world.

--C....



 

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this blog. I was thinking the same thing. As a black woman I feel we should be painted in a more positive light.

    Shanovia

    ReplyDelete
  2. offensive or not, the tweets are probably true, and we (black women) only have ourselves to blame. stereotypes are seldom positive but we can choose to look at them in a positive light though...#thingsblackgirlsdo: drop it low OR great dancers, $300 on weave OR keeps up her appearance.BUT some things that are common among black women, specifically from ghetto parts of the world, need to stop, like being too loud, belligerent or too aggressive. but with the rise of single black teen moms and lack of proper parenting, i doubt the cycle will ever stop, thus the perpetuation of the negative stereotypes. #justsayin

    Amanda T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this is the appropriate place to say...I am so proud of you!!!!! #blackgirlsrock.

    ReplyDelete