Sunday, October 3, 2010

Advice from Mrs. Complain A. Lot ...

Hello World,

Last week was CRAZY as I worked over 65 hours at my job taking phone calls from people from all over the country who were mad about their internet service being out. Fun, fun, fun. While being at my job for what seemed like an endless amount of hours I learned a small lesson that I would like to share with you all as well. Once again this is one of those life lessons that I am sure you all know, however, I am going to share anyway.

As you can probably guess, working in a call center is not the  happiest place on earth, and at times it can be very daunting. The job has taught me a lot about Americans and a lot about myself. In the few months that I have been at this job one of the things that I have learned is that people complain a lot. I mean, sure, you have services that you are paying for and if they are not working it is going to be very frustrating (something I actually say to my customers) but honestly, is calling and cursing out me and the company I work for really going to get you anywhere...not at all. I almost want to tell some of these people just to suck it up and deal with it because yelling is not going to get them anywhere. All it does is upset them further and frustrate me in the process.  As I said, it is one thing to be upset about services that are not working, but it is another thing just to complain for the heck of it. Some people honestly are like that, and, while working on this job I somehow let the negative energy get to me and found myself in a world wind of my own life complaints.

Working at a job that you hate is not the ideal situation, working 25 extra hours at this job that you hate is just asking for a bad week. In my case I found myself  towards the middle of the week waking up one morning and wanting to quit right then and there. The first thoughts out of my head once the alarm went off were, "gosh I hate my job, I hate waking up early and I hate the people there...bla bla bla, whine whine whine." Where did this get me? Absolutely nowhere, it just assured that I would have a bad day due to my bad attitude.

Nevertheless, a conversation I had with my Grammy later that day reminded me that if I change my attitude, it may not necessarily change the situation but it sure will make it more bearable. She said that instead of me waking up and complain about the job I hate, I should be thankful for having a job to pay the rent and bills to live in this cute little apartment that I love so much. She was right. Sometimes it is not easy, sometimes things can really honestly seem bad, and sometimes the bad situation may not even be our fault but there is always one aspect you can control in a bad situation and that is your own attitude towards it. My job has not gotten better but I've learned that a positive attitude has made it all the more easy for me to get through the day. But thats just me....

Once again, just more random thoughts from my little head. Have a great week World and as always,

Live life and smile always (or at least make an attempt to) ;-)!

--C. Smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment